Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Green with eggs and ham

I have had this thought on my mind the past couple of days. I am not sure what brought it on - maybe it was coming back from paradise and reflecting on 'my world'. Or if it was a huge change that someone I know is making in their life - throwing everything out (or so to speak) and just starting over. Or if it is because it's November, the raining season is among us, the nights are longer and darker and I have more time to sit and ponder instead of heading down to the tele and watching RHofNJ.

Settling. That's what I have been thinking about. I just sort of have been wondering - if the decisions that we make in our life are because we have settled for them, or is it because we have put thought into these decisions and that is what we have decided on? I guess there are a couple of different ways to look at it. And as I write this - I wonder if it is really 'settling' that I am thinking about - or is it in fact the decisions that we made or make?

I think about health and fitness for example. Is the reason that I am overweight because I settled for this because I thought that this is the way that I am destined to be? Or, is it because I made the decision to not live my life to the healthiest way that I possibly should? And then I can go from there and ask myself, that if I settled, would I have made a choice to change and work hard to turn my life from not taking care of myself - to making myself my number one priority?

I guess what I am thinking is that if we make a decision that eventually we feel may not have been the best for us - that it's possible to change it. But, if we make a decision and feel that we have settled, then making a change may seem impossible because it's harder to change something that we have settled on or deserve.

Maybe using the words 'settle' and 'decision' aren't the best words to use. Who knows?!?

What I feel that I am trying to say is that any decision that we make in our life, whether it be long or short term, we should feel that we have the ability to change it if it isn't the right one. And although we make a decision at one point in our lives - with or without really even knowing - we have the ability to make a change. That just because we have chosen a path doesn't mean that we have to settle on that path.

Life, love, happiness - is what we make of it. Wanting the most for ourselves is probably the most important thing - because we're worth it.

Sigh.

Alright - quick recipe that I love. I have said this before, and before and before that. I really like eggs. Before I started my workout program - I would probably have eggs for breakfast maybe once or twice a month. Something that we really focus on in our program when it comes to diet, is ensuring that we have protein at every meal. At first, I thought - easy. But really - it wasn't. I didn't realize that what I thought was protein wasn't really a good source. So, as a result, I introduced a lot more eggs to our diet. Chris works with a woman who has chickens - so normally we're having eggs from organic free run/free range chickens on a weekly basis. I have a couple of 'gotos' that I love to whip up - and am always trying new things. Scrambled eggs and goat cheese is still probably my all time fave - but sometimes I need to mix it up a bit.

We eat a lot of kale - so I was happy to have something else to add it too. I may need to become a kale farmer to keep up with our demand.

This Saturday morning - after a grueling spin class - I whipped these up - and they hit the spot.


Green with eggs and ham

3-4 kale leaves - chop them up into small pieces - nothing fancy - just a quick, coarse chop
6 eggs
1 tbsp italian seasoning
Chili flakes
1/4 skim milk
Ham - pre-cooked - chopped into small bite size pieces
Pepper
Cheese - parmesan, cheddar - shredded - just enough to add a bit of deliciousness - maybe 1/4 cup (and if you don't want to add cheese - then don't!)


In a large skillet - drizzle a tsp of olive oil and add the kale and cook over medium heat. Saute until the greens start to slightly wilted. Add in the ham and toss it all together.


In a large bowl, crack in the eggs. Add in the italian seasoning and chili flakes. I tend to not season with kosher salt because the ham is already salty. Use a whisk and whisk the eggs up. Add in the milk and give it another whisk.

Pour the eggs over the kale and ham and with a spoon stir it all up. Stir constantly to ensure that the eggs are coating all of the kale and ham. Let the eggs cook for about 3-4 minutes. Add the cheese and stir it into the egg mixture.

And that's it.


I like to serve the eggs with a piece of whole wheat toast - and some grape or cherry tomatoes.



And that's it. Super easy, super healthy and nutritious and a super way to start the day.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: