Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Strawberry and Balsamic Vinegar Icy

I am embarrassed really. It has been almost 4 months since I have posted anything on my blog. Maybe embarrassed isn't the right word. I am feeling badly that I sort of 'gave up' on this wee part of me that I have enjoyed so much for so long. I am not sure what happened really. I use the excuse - life, and sadly, it's sort of what happened. Busy with Christmas, then a new year, a new workout regime, a new schedule with my husband after 14 years. There has been a lot of changes within the last 4 months. All good. All worth it. All a part of life.

I don't want to say 'I'M BACK BABY', because what if I'm not? And then BABY will be like 'uh, you said you were back, and then you bugger off again'. It's just like me, isn't it? So, I think, like with the new changes that have been successful over the past couple of months - I will just take tiny steps - try to commit to a few posts a week and not declare a post a day and after 5 days of no posts, I won't feel like a failure, curl up in a ball, and just rock.

I won't get into everything that I have been doing over the past 3.5 months, because trust me it is huge and  you guys will be on the edge of your seats with anticipation of how life is so grand. Just kidding. Although, life has been good. After 14 years of my husband being at the studio 5 nights a week and 1 weekend day - he is only there 2 nights a week and for a couple hours on a Saturday. It's been a huge change. Actually cooking and sitting down to have dinner together, more than once a week is pretty great. There are so many bonuses - I am feeling pretty blessed to have some good quality time with him.

For Christmas this year, my mom gave us a Vitamix. Now - if you're not familiar with the Vitamix, you have to check it out. We started with the NutriBullet - remember THIS ? The Vitamix, pretty much puts the NB to shame. This thing is the wizard of all blenders. It is brilliant. We love it. I love it. My husband REALLY loves it. He is hooked on making us the most amazing, healthiest breakfast drinks every morning. Doesn't the Army say something like 'We do more before 8 AM than you do all day'? Well, our saying could be 'We eat more vegetables before 6 AM than you eat all day'. Seriously, it's crazy. Our fridge is always stocked with kale, swiss chard, broccoli, carrots, berries - and then the other stuff like pumpkin seeds, chia, hemp, sesame seeds, almonds, goji berries - all raw - full of nutrients and goodness.


Now, while Chris is making our daily 'shakes' as we like to call them, I am trying new things out, like this.


Looks like a strawberry milkshake, doesn't it? It sort of is.

But, before I share this recipe - I want to share a bit about my friend Tanya. She also has a Vitamix - and tells me about the great treats that she makes with it.  It's sort of because of her that I really wanted to get one. That, and because when we were in Costco in Maui, there was a guy doing a Vitamix demo, and he made the most amazing lemon ice treat - and I almost bought one right then and there. And then remembered that it wouldn't fit in my luggage.

Ok, so Tanya is a great friend that I have got to know her over the last year. We have become running partners. We run every Saturday morning together - rain, snow or shine - we're there. We take turns picking a route, and we have increased our runs in duration and distance for the past couple of months. For the past month or so we have headed to a Starbucks - recover from our run - replenish our body with much needed liquids - and just sit (I wince when I sit b/c my legs are always so sore) and talk and talk.

I LOVE our new Saturday ritual - I look forward to it all week.  She has become an amazing friend - and pushes me probably without knowing that she is - and makes me want to work hard. At the end of our run we always feel great - and I feel really lucky to have found someone with similar fitness goals - and has become a great friend.

When I was thinking about what to whip up for a sweet treat this weekend - I thought of strawberries and balsamic vinegar. And balsamic vinegar reminds me of Tanya b/c she loves it. It may sound like a bit of a weird combination - an icy treat with strawberries and vinegar, but trust me, it isn't! Just wait to you see what else is in this. You'll freak. In a good way.



Strawberry Balsamic Icy

2 cups of ice
8 strawberries  - washed and tops removed
1 1/2 cups of light ricotta (say what???)
1 tbsp of creme de balsamic

If you have a Vitamix - so easy - put everything in and blend on low for 30 seconds and then on high for another 30 seconds. And that's it.

If you have another type of blender - blend until all of the ingredients are smooth and creamy.



Top with a drizzle of balsamic, and enjoy!

Seriously, so good.

Alright friends. I am just cooking dinner. We are having mini turkey meatloaves (also inspired by Tanya) with a sweet potato hash that has celery, onion, peppers, zucchini and corn. I have been eating the sweet potatoes, raw, the entire time. I love them.

Thanks for stopping by. I will try not to be a stranger.

Loves.

Enjoy.

2 comments:

michele said...

Love this idea.... i hate the nutribullet and have been juicing instead. Im getting a nutribullet and wpuld love to have a guest pass to a saturday morning run... cuz i love both of you! Thanks Cheryl... i am so inspired by your love of cooking and workout ethic and your smile! Xo Michele

michele said...

I meant ... im getting a vitamix ;)