Thursday, April 10, 2014

Halibut in a Thai Coconut Curry Sauce


Easter is right around the corner. I saw something like this on Pinterest - and thought that I would give them a go to send up to my nieces and nephew. They didn't turn out as nicely - but I still think that they are so cute. I now have a ton of fishy crackers leftover - so I will be making more of them. Please get your order in before next Tuesday. JUST KIDDING. Although I would make you a carrot, because I love ya.


On Tuesday, Tanya (remember I just talked about her HERE - she is my running/coffee date every Saturday morning) went to a Thai cooking class. It was so delicious. Authentic thai recipes - with fresh ingredients. I have never done a class like this before - and I have a feeling that it is going to be the first of many. On Monday night, I watched Masterchef Canada and one of the judges had the contestants preparing dishes from his restaurant - and one was - Halibut in a coconut curry sauce. He didn't show the recipe or how to make it, but showed how to plate it. And, also on Tuesday, my friend Steph gave me two pieces of fresh halibut from her fishing excursion on the weekend.

Are you seeing where this is going? Hint, Thai, Halibut, Fate.

I thought that I would just wing it - and so happy that I did. Chris loved it - said that it may be better than my chicken pot pie recipe. Hoorah!

A couple of things before I get started. 1. I just winged it - and if someone is a master Thai chef - they may said that it isn't Thai. 2. I used way too much jalapeno - my mouth was an inferno when we were done. Chris' loved the heat - but had a little sweat on. I took his picture. Warning: HE'S HANDSOME.

 




Halibut in a Thai Coconut Curry Sauce

2 generous servings of fresh halibut (I think any fish would work for this - but I really love how halibut held up b/c it's so meaty)
4 cloves of garlic
Fresh ginger - roughly chopped - @ 2 tbsp worth
Jalapeno pepper - use as much or as little as you like
Juice and zest of one lime
2 tbps of curry powder
1 small can of coconut milk
1 tbsp of honey
Kosher salt and pepper for seasoning
Cilantro*

In a food processor, add in the garlic, ginger, jalapeno, juice and lime zest - and chop/grind until it is finely minced.
*I didn't have any cilantro - but I wish that I had. I would have added a small bunch to the above mixture, and used a bit for a garnish on top.

In a saucepan - add 1 tsp of canola oil and heat over medium heat. Add in the above mixture and saute for a couple of minutes - until everything is heating up nicely. Stir in the curry powder so that it coats everything. Add in the coconut milk, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer nicely, stirring often - until the halibut is cooked. Add the honey near the end and stir it in completely.

Season both sides of the halibut, with kosher salt and pepper.  Heat a pan on medium/high heat and add 1-2tbsp of olive oil. Place the presentation side of the halibut in the pan first. My pieces still had the skin on so I put the pieces in the pan skin side up.

Cook each side for 5 minutes. Our pieces were quite thick, but you could possibly get away with cooking them 3-5 minutes per side.

Remove the halibut from the pan.

In a shallow bowl, add the coconut curry sauce.



Place the piece of halbut on top of the sauce and garnish. I sliced red peppers very thinly, but I think that cilantro would look lovely.

I served this along side of sauteed yams with yellow and red peppers.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: