Sunday, April 6, 2014

Long live Spring

I'm not sure if it's because I grew up, up north, in a little town where winter was about 6 months of the year, or if it's because I love wearing sweaters, boots, scarves - typical winter clothes; but I always, every year have a hard time transitioning from winter to spring/summer.

I am from a small town on the northwest coast of BC, Kitimat. I feel very fortunate to have been raised there - there were a lot of great things there that made it a good place to grow up. Every March/April, the snow would start to melt and after about a 6 week transition - it went from cold days and nights with lots of snow - to warmer days and nights with the muck left over from all of the winter snow. Although the spring ended up being lovely and beautiful, it was the length of time that it took to go from one season to another. After living in Victoria now for so many years, I still find myself in that limbo - missing winter, happy spring is here, but just not fully embracing the change of season. It's sort of like I feel that there are going to be a few more cold spells or even a spring snow storm, and I just can't get past it.

I know that it's super odd. We have had amazing weather, and our cherry blossoms have been out for months now. We have tulips and daffodils growing in the gardens and today would be a warm enough day to leave the house without a coat. But... still I left the house with the coat that I pretty much wear all winter, a long sleeve shirt and no desire to spend more time outside than it took to walk the pups. Now, we did have an extra long walk down at the beach, and I did wear sunglasses - so perhaps I am on track; however, I am cozy in my house, cleaning, cooking, watching back episodes of 'Chopped' and writing a blog post. I am trying not to feel guilty about not being outside embracing this incredible spring day, but I feel like I am just not quite ready for spring yet.

What is wrong with me? Am I alone? Is it so bad to want another rainy day so that I can stay inside and not feel guilty about not being out in the yard like my neighbours are? Why do they have to be out so early in the year? Weeding, pruning, planting, laughing, dancing... They probably think that I'm a hermit. Oh well.

I found these pictures that made me happy. They are from last June. Road trip. Oh how she loves the windows down and her hair blowing in the wind. She loves spring. She loves fresh, long grass. She isn't like me. I need to take her lead and do what she loves. When the husband gets home we are going to go for a car ride. :)

I hope that you're loving spring. I know that for some areas it's not quite spring - but it is coming. The sun and warm air will be so good for you.







I don't have any new recipes really - or pictures of what I have been making. BUT, I do have this wee gem from back in April 2010. It made me smile. So much going on that time. A struggling running career, and finding our pup that went missing for a couple of days. Check it out HERE.

Long live Spring.

Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: