Sunday, June 8, 2014

Summer Salad



I spent part of the day with this little punk. My new nickname for his is 'Bratatouille' - like Ratatouille but with a B on the front - and emphasizing on the 'Brat'. Oh I love him. He is a lot of fun - and I am grateful that he still wants to hang out. I still remember one of the first times I took him out on his own, and he cried and cried. We were on an outting to find him some new shoes. Oh did he cry. We stopped in at the A&W for some french fries, and all was good in the world. It's funny that, was probably over 13 years ago, and I can remember it like it was yesterday.

After a day of hanging with the 'phew, dog walks, time in the garden, Corona's on the deck, I whipped up a tasty salad for dinner. I think that this may be the new go-to meal of the week. For the longest time my Cabbage Roll Soup was the Sunday go-to. For awhile it was Turkey Meatballs with spaghetti squash or zucchini. Now that summer is here, it pretty much has to include something that can be done on the barbeque - and something that can be whipped together quickly, that can be eaten with one hand while the other is holding a nice cold one. Oh I love summer!



Summer Salad 

Although it's technically not quite summer - the sun has been hot, flowers and vegetables are blooming and spending most of our time outside is here. My friend, Tina, told me about a salad that she had the other day and immediately my brain started working overtime, and I have been wanting to try it ever since.

Salad

Romaine lettuce - I used 2 small romaines
1 large orange pepper - chopped
2 cups of grape/cherry tomatoes - halved
1 zucchini - sliced thinly into quarters
1 cup of corn - I used frozen - good organic frozen corn is quite deelish
1 can of black beans - rinsed thoroughly
3-4 cups of chicken* - chopped (I used chicken that we did the previous night on the barbeque - I will definitely be sharing the recipe soon)

*If you don't want to use chicken - hardboiled eggs, salmon, steak or nothing (keep it full vegetarian) would work

Add everything to your biggest bowl - you'll need it - so that you can give this thing a good toss.



Dressing

1/2 cup cilantro
1/2 jalapeno  pepper
1 tbsp cumin
Kosher salt
2 tbsp lemon or lime juice
1/4 cup mayonnaise or greek yogurt (if you use yogurt, add a squirt of honey)
1/4 skim milk
1/4 cup feta cheese


This is from my garden!!!

Add the first 5 ingredients to a food processor and chop/grind it all up. Add the remaining ingredients, and blend it all together.

Now the dressing is quite strong with flavours, but once it is on the salad, it goes together in the most amazing way.

Toss the salad in the dressing - serve it up on a plate or a bowl - and enjoy. The only thing that I would have liked to have added to this was - avocado (my grocer didn't have any that were ripe enough) and a few tortillas for crunch.


Loves.

Enjoy!

No comments: